Tags

, ,

Years 3 and 4 were for a room downstairs destined to be an office and my son’s room upstairs. For all the gory details, you can visit my Picasa page: 2003 Renovations It pretty much says it all. I facilitated removal of plaster and lath by building a chute to the dumpster. That is the only way to go when one is working upstairs. I used the same process last year on my daughter’s room.

The trim in the office was all new, made from the clear 1×6 tongue and groove yellow pine from Lowe’s (even the casing) and yellow pine stair treads from Home Depot.

Trim detail

Trim detail

The office casing was actually quite simple. I used a Craftsman molding head cutter with a bead and cove profile using the one inch stair treads. The egg and dart molding was Aspen from Lowe’s (something they no longer stock, thank you very much!). The cabinets in the office are from the stair treads (Home Depot), plywood, and bead board plywood (Lowe’s). Necessity truly is the mother of invention…

The trim in my son’s room was sent back to the same stripper, cleaned, and shellacked. Looks like new. My son’s first comment upon seeing his completed room, “It looks like a hotel room.” (Visions of Homer choking Bart fly through my head…)

A gripe: Shortly after I finished these projects, Lowe’s and Home Depot stopped stocking their yellow pine. B*#*!_)*s! Just when you get a rhythm and a process going, your supplier up and changes their stock items. I can get similar stuff now but it’s knotty pine spruce, etc. Blech!

Advertisements