Tags

,

My updates have been on hiatus lately. Between being out of town for our 20th anniversary (gads!) and lying low while the electrician-neighbor’s family deals with a serious health problem, I haven’t gotten much done. My electrician-neighbor and I spent some time back trying to figure out how to resurrect my living room ceiling fan. The continuity tester showed we had all the correct wires, but when we set power to it–nothing. He was stumped. I figured if even with his 30+ years of experience he couldn’t figure it out, it was a done deal. I was able to get it working again by throwing up my hands and fishing a new feed to it from the foyer. A functioning fan is a good thing now that it has turned beastly hot!!

The next big, crippling decision is whether or not to install the archway that was removed during my daughter’s room remodel into the foyer just inside the front door. It would be nice to use it since I have it and it is part of the secondary remodel from the turn-of-the-century. But it also blocks, to some extent, the openness of the room. The ceiling has some major issues when it comes to being level, so a break in the ceiling plane by the archway would simplify things greatly. Also, I wanted to install a wainscot using recycled lumber. I have quite a bit of bead board, but not enough to go from the front door up the stairs. The archway would break up the wall so I could essentially design two different wainscot styles. I have hung the old arch framing from the ceiling as a “test”, but I need to block off the remainder of what would be the wall with paper to get a better feel for how it might look.

Then it’s on to wiring, insulating, etc…

Imagine it being stripped back to the original finish...

Imagine, if you will, the trim being stripped back to the original finish for the new install...

Advertisements