In an attempt to wrap-up the foyer updates, here’s a laundry list of things that happened last week not yet covered in the last couple of posts.
- Remaining unstripped stairs were stripped.
- The “new” balusters were installed.
- The whole staircase got a coat of shellac, that being some sections’ second coat.
- The wainscot was capped.
- The front door and closet door trim (plinth block, wainscot, and pilaster) were installed. Tricky little operation, but it’s now done.
- The front door and living room door header trim with the applied moldings were stripped and shellacked–a mind-numbingly, tedious process.
- The once okay wallpaper up the stairs no longer met the design requirements of the room, so it was painted over. That wall will ultimately be demoed when the room above the foyer is done. Who knows when that will happen.
- The second furnace and AC in the house were replaced. The second? Oh, yeah… Talk about my checkbook hemorrhaging like there’s no tomorrow. I try to rationalize it as a long-term investment like the stock market. Let’s just hope these units are a little more reliable in their return than the market…
Hmm… Next project? Nothing this major, I’ll guarantee that. I picked up a small, antique, oak end table off Craigslist that needs repaired and refinished. I also want to switch out the upper curved glass panels in the foyer with stained glass. That would be a nice change of pace.
For now, I’m a-thinkin’ that my immediate project is to relax in my recliner with a good book and in between chapters partake of some Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood episodes. If I do say so myself, I think I’ve earned it.