Tags

, , , , , ,

It hasn’t stormed here since at least June or before.

Admittedly, installing the storm window for the Palladian attic window is a bit premature considering that the interior side is not yet painted, but I wanted to see how it would look. Not too bad, actually. It was a bit of a trick getting the curve joints right and fitting it in the opening once built, but it’s in. I wonder if there was originally a storm for this window?

The window is built from some reused 5/4 window trim left over from when I replaced the windows in the second-story bay window. It took gluing up a couple of pieces for the top section to get it wide enough to accommodate the curve. Then, after I cut out the curve, one of the pieces ended up having a sizable crack that wasn’t noticeable until then. So, a spline was added to give it strength and (hopefully) fix that permanently. The spline is visible at the top in the photo of the unfinished, interior side.

All of the small joints have at least two biscuits and one Kreg screw to keep them together; the larger, bottom joints have four biscuits and two screws. The four turnbuttons were reused from other windows on the house, but only after cleaning a million coats of paint off them.

And, oddly enough, it only took one piece of glass, again, recycled. I fully expected to break at least a couple of panes before I got it right… I don’t expect the storm to really make any difference with air infiltration in the winter, but it should help protect the inside sash from condensation and the ensuing rot.

Next weekend, I’ll take it down and paint the inside along with the glazing compound. Sad that I waited 12 years to do about five days worth of work…

Advertisements