Last Friday I finished all of the bed moulding trim work in the living room. All that’s left is to fill nails holes–about a billion of them.
Over the last three days, it’s been my mission in life to complete building the beams and installing them in the living room. The final verdict? — Done. The journey? Abysmal! If I had had a crew of four or five able-bodied hands, it would have turned out much better than it ultimately did. That being said, it’s passable by most standards and so I’ll let it go.
The general construction was a three-sided, tongue-and-groove box stabilized a bit by adding glue blocks. The large boxes that covered the I-beams had a pine 1x cut to a 45 degree angle attached to the top. (photo #2) Screws were then used through the pine into the ceiling. This was effectively the only way to attach it since it couldn’t be attached to the beam itself. The perpendicular boxes were nailed to a 2x that was bolted to the ceiling. (photo #3) The trim is bed moulding which will be supported by the pine piece.
The triangle-shaped section over the fireplace had a really tricky angle, but with a jig and a couple test cuts, I was able to get it pretty darn close. (photo #7)
The refurbished, vintage light (with modern glass) really adds to the room. My sincere thanks goes out to Seth for graciously supplying it.
Hopefully, trimming can be done on Saturday…
Life… Time… Money… Motivation… All valid excuses that have no bearing on the present.
The last child is about to stretch her wings into adulthood by graduating from high school. With the reception looming in the near future, it seemed prudent that the dusty, crusty I-beams in the living room needed to be covered at long last. A couple weekends ago, I finally got started by putting a “frieze” of quartered oak boards around the perimeter of the room.
This past Friday, I got the caps and moulding added to the two windows. They’ve looked bare and forlorn for so long now. The space above the windows was very tight–right at six inches. The caps were installed using finish screws. As I was backing out one of them over the large, cottage window, the drill got away from me and punched a hole in the ceiling. No huge deal, but just another setback in the timeline.
And finally, the interior beams are now ready to be cut to length and assembled. They will be tongue-and-groove joint boxes and attached to the ceiling in two different ways. More to come on that…
Time to catch up. The living room and bathroom are painted and outlets and switches installed. Lots more work to do to trim it out. The trim in the living room will all be quarter-sawn oak. I bought some new and will be recycling some old as well. When I went to grad school, the university went through the process of replacing all the doors in the main administration building with “fire-proof” doors. Apparently the old ones weren’t up to code. The real shame was that the old ones were all 8-foot tall, 2-inch thick, quartered white oak with solid raised panels. I bought three of them at the time and they’ve been in storage ever since. I decided now was the time to put them into service. They will become part of the new beamed ceiling.
At first, I was going to strip them, but then reconsidered and ran them through my planer. Although the rails and stiles were veneered, the veneer is at least 1/8th of an inch thick. It worked beautifully and was so much faster. Not to mention that they are now raw wood and should take the stain and finish like all the rest. Even after I split them in half, they will be about an inch thick. I wonder how old the trees were that were made into these doors 110 years ago?
The living room paint is not what was originally planned. My wife insisted that she wanted red, so the lowest portion was made red. It looked like a crime scene. My daughter’s first reaction was, “It looks like someone painted the walls with blood!” It took my wife two days to finally decide it had to go. This works so much better. It’s brown, but it’s not red!
This morning, I stripped the bathroom window and sash front and back. About four or five layers of paint are now gone. The primer and top coat have been applied to the exterior. Next I will dig out what remains of the paint on the interior, stain, and finish them.
I’m tired already and I’ve just barely started…
And the bathroom tile is scheduled for Tuesday. I’m as happy as a tornado in a trailer park!