This is embarrassing… Less to report today than I would have otherwise expected. But, I did finish nearly all the baseboard trim in the parlor with the exception of the west side. The cold air return needs to be dealt with first. On the foyer side of the room, the wall was repainted and the french door and baseboard trim were installed. Otherwise, I put up a bit of picture rail and then helped my wife and mother-in-law do some preparatory cleaning for Thursday. Exciting, no?
After a quick round of shellacking this morning, I finished hanging the second french door and began the trim work. This is the tedious part, but I get plenty of exercise up and down the basement stairs fine-tuning the cuts. It’s starting to move along fairly quickly now. I always like this stage of a project–all the junk that’s been accumulating getting ready for a day like today is put up. And I don’t have to trip over it in the basement any longer.
More trimming tomorrow. Still need to paint the crown moulding and the temporary bathroom door trim. Next year after it warms up, the white door will go and be replaced by an antique Douglas Fir door I picked up at a salvage yard.
Decided to try something new–a daily update. On vacation until after Thanksgiving and pushing myself to make progress for the big turkey day when everyone shows up here. Window sills and aprons, flooring repair, and hanging one of the french doors were the noteworthy accomplishments today. The floor required repair because it was once a wall with a heating vent. It also was part of the wall to the east of the old location of the french doors. Putting in the new opening required removing some of the wall and exposing the rough edges where they laid the oak flooring. Luckily, I have piles of replacement oak from the upstairs bathroom project/demo. The patch is not perfect, but it doesn’t have to be for me.
Maybe some more trimming yet tonight.